Why should you replace your Frigidaire water filter?
If you own a Frigidaire refrigerator with a water filtration system, replacing the filter regularly is crucial to ensure you’re consuming clean and safe drinking water. The filter is responsible for removing impurities, such as chlorine, pesticides, and bacteria, from your drinking water. Over time, the filter gets clogged with impurities, making it less effective and reducing the water flow from the dispenser. Neglecting to replace your Frigidaire water filter can lead to contaminants present in your water, making it taste and smell bad, and can also pose a health risk.
As a rule of thumb, the manufacturer recommends replacing the filter every six months or depending on usage. Depending on the quality of your water, you may need to change the filter sooner. If you notice a slow water flow from the dispenser or off-flavors in the water, it’s time to replace the filter.
Replacing your filter isn’t as daunting as it may seem. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to replace your Frigidaire water filter.
Step 1: Determine the Type of Frigidaire Water Filter You Need
Replacing the water filter in your Frigidaire refrigerator is essential, as it ensures clean and safe drinking water. But before you can replace the filter, you must first determine the type of filter you need. Frigidaire water filters come in various types depending on the specific model of your refrigerator, so finding the right one is crucial.
There are two types of Frigidaire water filters: the PureSource Plus filter and the ULTRAWF filter. The PureSource Plus filter is an older model, which is compatible with specific Frigidaire refrigerators. On the other hand, the ULTRAWF filter is the newer model that is compatible with most Frigidaire refrigerator models.
To determine the type of filter your Frigidaire refrigerator needs, check the user manual that comes with the unit. Alternatively, you can also check the Frigidaire website using the model number of your fridge to find out the type of filter you need.
Step 2: Replace the Frigidaire Water Filter
Now that you know the type of filter your Frigidaire refrigerator needs, it is time to replace the old filter with a new one. Here are the steps you need to follow to replace your Frigidaire water filter:
1. Locate the water filter: The water filter is typically located at the back, upper-right corner of your Frigidaire refrigerator. Depending on the model of your fridge, the location may vary.
2. Turn off the water supply: Before you begin replacing the water filter, turn off the water supply to your refrigerator. This will prevent water from spraying out during the replacement process.
3. Remove the old filter: Once you have turned off the water supply, locate the old filter and remove it from the filter housing. You can twist it counterclockwise to remove it from the housing.
4. Install the new filter: Take out the new filter from its packaging and insert it into the filter housing. Make sure the new filter is aligned with the filter housing and turn it clockwise to lock it in place.
5. Reset the filter indicator: After you have installed the new filter, reset the filter indicator light. Press and hold the reset button until the light turns green.
6. Turn on the water supply: Finally, turn on the water supply to your Frigidaire refrigerator and allow it to run for a few minutes. This will flush out any air bubbles that may have formed during the replacement process.
In conclusion, replacing your Frigidaire water filter is a straightforward process that you can do on your own. By identifying the type of filter your refrigerator needs and following the steps outlined above, you can ensure that your family has access to clean and safe drinking water.
Step 2: Turn Off Water Supply
Before you proceed with the replacement process, it is crucial to turn off the water supply to your Frigidaire refrigerator. Turning off the water supply will prevent any water from spilling out and also protect the water dispenser and ice maker from any damage. Make sure that you locate the water supply line at the back of your refrigerator and turn the valve clockwise to shut off the water supply completely.
Some models may have a bypass cap that needs to be removed before accessing the water filter. If your model has one, remove the bypass cap by turning it clockwise and pull it out of the refrigerator. You can save the bypass cap for later use if you ever need to bypass the water filter temporarily.
If you are having trouble locating the water supply line, refer to the user manual that came with your Frigidaire refrigerator for assistance.
Once you have turned off the water supply and removed the bypass cap (if applicable), you can proceed to the next step of the replacement process.
Step 3: Remove the Old Water Filter
Before you can install a new Frigidaire water filter, you’ll need to remove the old one from its housing. This is a quick and simple task, but it’s important to do it properly to avoid any damage or leaks to your appliance.
Here’s how you can remove the old water filter:
Step 1: Locate the water filter housing. In most Frigidaire refrigerators, this is located in the upper right corner of the fridge compartment.
Step 2: Press the release button. Depending on your refrigerator model, there may be a button or lever that releases the old water filter. Press it firmly to release the filter from its housing.
Step 3: Twist and pull out the filter. Once the filter has been released, twist it counterclockwise to remove it from its housing. Pull it straight out of the fridge.
Step 4: Dispose of the old filter. Make sure you dispose of the old filter properly. Some filters can be recycled, while others must be disposed of in the trash.
It’s important to note that some water filters may be difficult to remove, especially if they’ve been in use for a long time. If you’re having trouble removing your filter, refer to your refrigerator’s user manual for additional instructions.
Once you’ve successfully removed the old water filter, you’re ready to install the new one. Make sure the new filter is inserted into the housing correctly, and follow the instructions carefully to ensure a proper installation.
By properly removing and installing your Frigidaire water filter, you can ensure that you’re getting clean and safe drinking water from your refrigerator. Remember to replace your filter every six months to maintain optimal performance and quality.
Step 4: Install the New Water Filter
Now that you have removed the old water filter, it’s time to install the new one. Before you start, make sure you have the replacement filter that’s compatible with your Frigidaire refrigerator. Also, it’s important to verify whether the filter is certified by NSF International for removing the specific contaminants you’re concerned about.
Here are the simple steps to install the new water filter:
- Remove the protective cap from the new water filter.
- Align the new filter with the filter housing, making sure the arrows on the filter point in the right direction.
- Push the new filter into the housing until you hear a clicking sound. This indicates that the filter is locked in place.
- Once the filter is securely in place, turn it clockwise until it locks into position. Keep turning until you can no longer turn it.
- Reset the water filter indicator light by pressing and holding the “Filter Reset” button until the light goes off or turns green.
Allow the water dispenser to run for a few minutes to flush any air pockets and debris from the new filter. This also helps to activate the filter media for best performance. Once the water runs clear, you can start enjoying fresh and clean drinking water again.
Remember to replace the water filter every six months or after filtering 200 gallons of water, whichever comes first. Keeping up with this routine maintenance task not only ensures the quality of your drinking water, but also prolongs the lifespan of your refrigerator and prevents costly repairs or replacements in the long run.